How to get Kind Milk in the Bay Area, US?
- Sign Up
- We will send you an email with approval and other information.
- Approved customers pay the amount via PayPal or Credit card (one time free sample or 12 wks subscription required!)
- If using PayPal, use "Friends and Family" option
- Milk pick up location is currently near Jain temple in Milpitas, California, USA
- Join Whatsapp group for updates
How much does it cost / Pricing for Kind Milk ?
- 0.5 gallon (half gallon) one time sample : $13
- 0.5 gallon / week : $156 for 12 weeks
- 1 gallon / week : $312 for 12 weeks
- 1.5 gallon / week : $468 for 12 weeks
- 2 gallon / week : $624 for 12 weeks
- 2.5 gallon / week : $780 for 12 weeks
- Using PayPal
Kind Milk vs Existing Diary Practices
What is wrong with commercial dairy practices?
Dairy industry works hand in hand with meat/leather industry. The objective of both industries is profits. A young cow is brought in for milk production, it is impregnated multiple times without rest and fed all sorts of high yield foods (corn, fermented silage etc etc) to get nearly 10 gallons every day. With excessive milk production at this rate, the cow's body and milk giving capacity wears out in just 3 years. After 3 years the cows are no longer profitable for dairy, they are now profitable for beef or leather. The baby calf for whom the milk was produced is separated from the mother within 24 hours. It is certain never given its fair share. If the calf is male then he is considered good for just one thing --- Veal, which is an exotic variety of meat. Other forms of cruelty inflicted on cows include painful dehorning of all cows (without Anesthesia or pain medication), hot iron branding, castration of bulls, killing of male calves right after they are born, etc. You can read more about this in this PETA article (warning: not for the faint-hearted!).
In essence, buying such milk amounts to promoting all this horrific himsa and pain inflicted on the poor cows.
Why not just go vegan?
It is best not to exploit animals in any way for any of our personal needs and go Vegan. Milk, if produced by perfectly Ahimsak practices does not harm the cow and is beneficial for human consumption. Here is a clear explanation by Pramansagarji Maharaj on this topic. Additionally, there are stories about even Teerthankaras taking milk in their ahaar. So consuming milk is not Himsa by itself, but the way it is taken from cows decides if milk is Ahimsak or not.
How is Kind milk different?
- Cows are kept in clean conditions and treated lovingly (non-violent ways) -- NO sticks NO yelling.
- 100% vegetarian grass fed diet for cows. No corn, No acidic silage, No chicken manure.
- male/female calves are kept and allowed to nurse with their mother for at least 3 month
- No forced pregnancies. Cows are allowed to have natural pregnancies and are allowed to rest between pregnancies.
- When cows stop producing milk they are moved off site and kept in cow shelters through end of their life. Cows are allowed to die a natural peaceful death and not killed before their full life span (average 20 years).
- Male calves are also kept through end of life in cow shelters and are not butchered for Veal.
- No painful removal of horns, No hot iron branding.
- No growth hormones.
- Regular vet visits to the onsite farm and off site cow shelters.
- What are some ongoing Kind milk efforts?
- How can I donate funds to this project?
- What is wrong with commercial dairy practices?
Kind Milk Procurement
How will the milk be procured and from where?
KindMilk currently procures milk from Gita Nagari, PA. The Gita Nagari farm would package the milk and ship it by air from Harrisburg, PA airport to a regional airport in the bay area. The package would then be collected and brought to a common pickup point (likely close to JCNC) for distribution. (Details will be communicated soon.)
How will I know when, where and what time to pick up my milk?
Once you sign up, you will be added to a Kind Milk WhatsApp group, where you will be notified in advance, about the location, Day/Date and time for the Milk pick up. The location for pick up will remain same every week. It will be close to Milpitas Jain temple area. You can join the carpool groups for kindmilk pickup in your area. Kindmilk Admin will help you to join the group.
What if I am unable to come and pick up my milk?
You could request any of your friends to pick it up for you. You can request KindMilk team to assist you with the pick up. We could pick up your milk or send with friends living in your city based on prior discussion/agreement. Current pickup location is near Jain Temple in Milpitas.
What if I am on vacation?
Please notify KindMilk whatsApp group and someone can purchase your milk. You can ask your friends to pick up your milk as well.
How do I pay for my order?
When you sign up, you place the order for the quarter (12 weeks). You will have to pay for the full quarter in advance to the Paypal account that will be notified to you on the WhatsApp group.
Will the milk be refrigerated during transit (PA to CA)?
The milk would be frozen by Gita Nagari before delivering to Harrisburg, PA airport. During transportation and in flight, the boxes will not be refrigerated, however, the boxes would be stored in refrigerated units or walk-in coolers at the airport facility in case of transit flights and at SJC arrival. During the whole process of transportation to Milpitas, the milk would last fresh because it will be frozen.
Can we add other Ahimsa milk products like cheese/yogurt/paneer to our main milk order too?
Yes, we can add other products to the same order (prices are provided here). The shipping cost might increase by a little bit. We will update this page soon with more details on how to order, stay tuned!
- How will the milk be procured and from where?
Type of Milk
Is the milk pasteurized?
The milk is "low-heat" pasteurized, and is in compliance with state regulation. Specifically, it is heated to 145º F, held for 30 minutes, and then cooled to 40ºF. The milk is then bottled in half-gallon plastic bottles. It is never homogenized. The milk would be frozen for about 2 days before delivering to the airport. More details about the pasteurization process can be found here.
What kind of packaging is used?
Packaging is done in cardboard boxes - each box containing 9 bottles of 1/2 gallons each.
How long would the milk last after opening?
After opening it will last 3-5 days. If boiled upon opening it can last up to 10 days.
What is the fat content of the milk?
It is pure whole milk of A2 quality.
- Is the milk pasteurized?
What is the average natural life span of a cow?
20 years. Unfortunately, the average age of a dairy cow in the United States is 5 years old.
During what ages is a cow capable of milk production?
3 - 14 years.
How long does a calf need to stay with her mother?
10 months. Unfortunately, at commercial dairy farms, calves are weaned off much sooner (in a few days). In some case they are separated from their mothers immediately and sent off to a slaughter house.
- What is the average natural life span of a cow?